Followers

Wednesday 19 February 2014

…then, when, pouring over forbidden pages…



The card I have to share today features another of Abigail Larson’s wonderfully detailed scenes available as a digi stamp from Simply B Stamps, Morella.


Anyone who is a regular visitor to my blog knows that I tend to construct my cards using layouts sourced from the various challenge sites; I do this because I am not very good at designing a layout myself.  In this case the layout has come from Sketchy Colors.

I also use challenges for inspiration in my crafting, which is exactly what I did with this card.  So here’s the run-down of how this card was built…

I couldn’t pass up the ABC Challenges’ theme of flowers; I love to use paper flowers on my cards.  Given the sketch I followed the Quirky Crafts’ challenge to pile it up inspired me to literally go upward with my layers so each one above the blue background has foam squares, sometimes layered two high, to give depth to this card.  I also used this in constructing my metal embellie which is, itself, seven layers high.

Corrosive Challenges are looking for stitching, I’ve never actually stitched on my cards before and I toyed with using my sewing machine until I remembered the leather cord in my stash.  Given my designer paper includes printing and books the leather crossed stitches fit with the vintage book motif echoed in the parchment and quill in the image.

Finally, the whole theme of my card was inspired by SanDee&amelie’s time machine.  For me that is what books are, they can take you on an incredible journey where you can experience the past through the eyes of those who lived and died hundreds of years ago and gaze into the future as imagined by others.  I wanted to construct an embellie time machine but didn’t have the pieces in my stash that worked together so instead I settled for a key to a time machine, a Steampunk one of course complete with wings!

Ingredients:
Copics
Skin E50, E51, E53 (E02 cheeks)
Hair E23, E25, E27, E29
Dress RV 52, RV63, RV66, RV69
Boots T4, T6, T8, 100
Fabric Objects B24, B32, B37, B39
Metal Objects N0, N2, N4
Paper Objects E30, E31, E40, E42
Wooden Objects E23, E25, E27, E30, E31, E40, E42, E43, E44, E47
Chalks & Powders etc
Pebbles Chalk ~ Metallic Cream
Dies, SVGs & Templates etc
Spellbinders Nestabilities ~ Grand Circles
Embellishments
Metal Key Charm from stash
Kaisercraft Mini Paper Blooms ~ Black
Kaisercraft Paper Blooms ~ Honey
Prima Junkyard Findings ~ Tiny Clock Parts
Prima Shabby Chic Treasures ~ Dell’Arte
Tim Holtz Idea-ology Findings ~ Game Spinners
Inks & Paints etc
Papers
7 Gypsies Camden
Kaisercraft Arts of Life ~ Creative & Moments
We R Memory Keepers Black Widow ~ Frightful
Ribbons & Trims etc
Black Hessian Ribbon from stash
 Burlap Ribbon with Cog Pattern from stash
Stamps
Challenges


Thanks for stopping by!

10 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous,fabulous design and details.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! LOVE those torn edges and the embellishing! A wonderful steampunk card!

    Thank you for sharing it with us at SASPC!

    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful card!Great take on the sketch this week!
    Thank you for joining Sketchy Colors this week and good luck!
    HUgs,Kari :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. great card, so many details ! thank you for your participation at Sandee & Amelie steampunk challenges
    Coutureuse

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWESOME Emily, just had to join your blog as a new follower, you are awesome...thankx also for the nice encouraging comment on my steampunk entry.xxx

    http://annieforeva.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this Emily the layout looks fantastic and gorgeous coloring as always xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty card Emily, your coloring is beautiful.
    Thanks for joining us at The Corrosive Challenge Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Emily, this is fabulous as always, but I never expect anything less from your art!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful card, beautiful colouring. Thank you for sharing with us over at ABC Challenge. Take care, Ann-Marie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. super card thank you for joining Quirky Crafts...a new challenge starts very soon, hope to see you there
    ((Lyn)) DT

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments, I really appreciate you taking the time to let me know your thoughts (c: