Followers

Sunday 7 February 2016

And we envy no landsman his dream and sleep…


My card today features two images, Fishing Rod from Nana Vic’s Digis and Large Fish from QKR Stampede.


It’s probably pretty obvious this is heading off to a fishing enthusiast and, in keeping with my theme of the year, I’ve gone CAS on the card, perfectly suited to a male card.  To make up my card I’ve followed the current sketch at CAS(E) this Sketch.

I wasn’t sure how to make up the vertical elements until I saw the current challenge at Country View was to make your own background.  I thought I’d check out Tim Holtz’s blog for some inspiration and found it with this month’s tag and the technique remix.  For my monoprinting I’ve used a stencil that reminded me of a fishing net and for my embossed texture paste Tim’s Measured Layering Stencil as fishermen are always talking about the size of their catch.  I wasn’t sure if Distress Embossing Powder would work for the embossed texture paste technique but it did and gave a lovely rough finish.

While checking out the embossed texture paste technique I really liked the shiny black stamping Tim did.  Unfortunately I didn’t have a fish stamp in my collection and no time to order one in so I improvised by using black foil over my digi.  It’s not something that photographs well but in real life it looks lovely and shiny.  Just to make things easy for myself I decided to use the same technique on my fishing rod in multiple colours, lots of fiddly layering up of foils later and I was really pleased I’d made the effort.  I coloured both images with Tim Holtz Distress Markers.

When I foiled the fish I really liked the relief image that was left on the foil so I cut around it and placed it on some card I swiped with Distress Inks in various colours and popped it on the inside of the card.  A nice way to tie the inside to the outside and add some interest to it, not to mention use up what would otherwise be waste.

  
Ingredients:
Chalks & Powders etc
Tim Holtz Distress Embossing Powder ~ Walnut Stain
Dies, SVGs & Templates etc
Spellbinders Nestabilities Die ~ LF-110 Grand Ovals
Inks & Paints etc
Teresa Collins Basically Essential ~ Modelling Paste
Papers
Bazzill Fourz Cardstock ~ Rain
Stamps
Challenges
CAS(E) this Sketch ~ Sketch #158
Country View ~ Make your own Background

Thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

  1. Great masculine card and take on the sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very creative version of Tim's Remix! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great male card! Thanks for joining us at CAS(E) This Sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how you went your own way while keeping with the remix. Very cool. Creative Blessings! Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is amazing, fabulous background, and I love CAS (but can't do it lol) Your fishing friend will be thrilled with this. Thank you so much for joining in with our challenge at Country View Crafts, and have a great week. Sue xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments, I really appreciate you taking the time to let me know your thoughts (c: