Followers

Monday 16 January 2017

And away they all flew like the down of a thistle



I can’t believe it’s only the third week of January and here I am with my second Christmas card of the year!


Now this one didn’t quite come together as I planned but I was somewhat thwarted in my attempts by the lack of appropriate Santa digis.  You’d think a Santa dropping presents from his sleigh would be an easy image to find, well, think again.  There are about a gazillion surfing Santa images from various digi artists but not a single one of him dropping gifts.  If you know where to buy one please leave me a comment, I’d be ever so grateful!

Why I needed a Santa dropping gifts is because when I saw the sketch at Christmas Card Throwdown I immediately thought of putting Santa in place of the star flying through the air.  At first I was going to have stars falling in the shaker (it’s the year of the shaker card, well, except for exceptional circumstances like today’s other post of a sympathy card) but over at Jingle Belles they have a present theme running and that seemed way cooler.

Soooooo, off I went looking for the perfect image and came up with nudder, zilch and nought, except those surfing Santas.  I almost gave up but then I thought about a silhouette of Santa and the Silhouette store where I did find a cut file.  Still no presents but at least Santa’s arm was up looking like he might be tossing gifts.  I had cut the silhouette from black Deco Sheet from the Halloween set but it hardly showed on the dark blue DP I used so out came my trusty Molotow Paint Marker and hey, presto! a white Santa silhouette you can actually see.  Had to cut the other reindeer off as they didn’t quite fit and I got the placement a bit off compared to the star in the sketch but once that Deco Sheet started to grip the cut was too small and fine to try and lift it off again.

My shaker elements are presents also cut from Deco Sheets using another cut file as I was also thwarted in my attempts to buy present shaped confetti.  I found some but with a week handling time and a shipping charge eight times the cost of the bag so made my own.  I cut mirror images of the presents and stuck the two pieces together to give a double sided non-stick finish so the shaker elements would actually shake.  The sketch just screamed ‘tear’ to me so that’s what I did with the top layer of paper, I placed another lighter version of the same DP underneath.  I think the Vintage Dots paper works well for a starry night sky.

Over at ABC Christmas they are looking for things beginning with B, I have brads (the star ones holding my ‘torn’ sky open) as well as two shades of blue paper so I am also entering my card over there.  And while it didn’t turn out quite how I’d planned I am pretty happy with it and even more chuffed with myself that I’ve got two Christmas cards done in two weeks.

Ingredients:
Dies, SVGs & Templates etc
Embellishments
Inks & Paints etc
Papers
BoBunny Double Dot Vintage ~ Blueberry & Dark Denim
Maja Designs I Wish ~ Ephemera
Challenges

Thanks for stopping by!

9 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had quite the time of it getting this card together! I'm glad you persevered, it's a great take on the sketch, and I bet looks even better with the movement of your shaker presents. Thank you for joining in with the Christmas Card Throwdown. Lucinda (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turned out lovely Emily, love it all.....
    where do you live in the world Emily??
    {aNNie}

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful take on our sketch. Thank you for sharing with us at 52 {Christmas} Card Throwdown - Myrna DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Things rarely go to plan do they? I find if I start without much idea it goes better! However you've worked it all out and it looks great. The tearing was a good idea (and the falling presents).
    Thanks for playing along at Christmas Card Throwdown.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is indeed an awesome concept and you've created it perfectly in card form. so pleased you could join our fun with "no time like the presents" at JINGLE BELLES! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an ingenious use of the sketch ... thanks for helping us *wrap it up* at jingle belles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was worth the hunt - this is a really fun card! I do like the pile of presents building up beneath Santa! Love the fabulous rich vintage look too. Sorry to be so late commenting. Thanks so much for playing along with Christmas Card Throwdown. Deborah, DT.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the concept of your card! It's fabulous!! Thanks for sharing it with us at ABC Christmas Challenge.
    Hugs, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done its a great card and love that you did something different too, Thanks for joining in with our challenge at ABC Christmas Challenge,
    hugs Samantha :0)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments, I really appreciate you taking the time to let me know your thoughts (c: